uploads-may8 Image 3
Fulham mum Alex Geddes is our new regular columnist. Read on for her insights and observations about beauty, fashion and parenting!
I've been reading about the rise of the young fogey a lot recently.
What is she talking about, I hear you ask? Well, a young fogey is basically someone who acts and dresses much older and more conservatively than their years would suggest. Originally it only referred to men, but seems to have become a little more inclusive in recent years (how progressive!).
Will and Kate are most definitely a young fogey couple, enjoying quiet nights in with pizza, walking their dog and wearing wellingtons and a Barbour (and apparently asking for a sausage maker on their wedding list, the mind boggles) instead of heady nights out in West London (like some young royals!). The Coalition Cabinet also seems to be adding to the rise of young fogeys, with its two figureheads being young (ish), well educated, and dare I say it, a touch boring and sensible (with a mutual love of brown loafers and aran knitwear).
My instant reaction to the concept, was 'not me, I'm no fogey, young or otherwise', but the more I dwelled on the matter, the worse the outcome looked. Not only am I a young fogey, but I am married to another, who is terribly proud of it (he owns three tweed jackets at 28 years old, the future does not look hip). So, I complied a list of indicators that one, may indeed, be a young fogey...
1. You look at Justin Bieber and your first thought is to wonder how that hair doesn't irritate him, flapping in his eyes the whole time, and wonder what Harry Stiles uses on his hair to get such well defined curls. You also rue the day David Beckham got his first tattoo.
2. While you used to think nothing of tottering out the door to a club in a short skirt and no coat, you now relish your waterproof, warm wintercoat, that you rarely take off between November and March, and are always a little thrilled at finding a pound coin in the pocket.
3. You love Pinterest, and your favourite board is one where you have collected images of your dream wardrobe and shelving system (mine is for shoes, have a look).
4. You pride yourself on knowing instantly where every book in your house resides, due to your fantastic organisation system (I organise my books by colour, and I can honestly sit for hours debating where a particular book should fit, what fun).
5. For all intents and purposes you are a 'Telegraph' reader, but you secretly check out the Daily Mail website at least once a day.
6. You adore Kate's style, and slavishly follow her fashion journey (probably on the Daily Mail website), but find the most inspiring thing about her is that she shares her mum's clothes. And is there really anything all that wrong with nude tights?
7. Once, you chose holiday destinations based on how near the the best bars, clubs and beaches were, now you look for a creche, babysitting services and how far the nearest nightclub is, the further the better. The Cotswolds always seem ideal (especially as you'll get to wear your Barbour to the local pub without sticking
out too much).
8. Although you love the new, quirky nail art trends, you worry that, on you, it might make your hands look a bit old (and secretly worry any sparkly nail varnish will make take the dazzle away from your engagement ring).
9. Just like Barack and Michelle, you have a weekly date night, but yours tends to end at 8.45pm, after a meal, as you are both so tired and fancy a really good sleep.
10. You used to save up for Mulberry handbags and Louboutin shoes, but you are now squirreling your money away to buy some new garden furniture and one day, to get a Berry Brothers Cellar Plan...you can but dream.
Tell us your young fogey signs using the comments box below.