AN UNRULY taxpayer-funded family who trashed a £1.2m Fulham home have agreed to leave but could still get a new property in the borough because of housing rules.
Palestinian refugee Manal Mohamoud was taken to court last week by the council after residents in Greswell Street endured months of antisocial behaviour at the hands Mohamoud and her six sons.
The benefit claimants agreed in court to leave but they could remain in the borough if another local authority doesn't take them on. They will stay at their current home near Craven Cottage football ground until housing officers find them a new property.
The council was forced to answer questions as to how such an ill-suited family was given such an expensive home in the first place and it blamed the chronic lack of affordable housing in borough.
And it said that, while it was 'very reluctant' to have to find them another home, it was forced to by law.
Housing officers acted after neighbours complained of noise and litter, while landlord Sue Cummings, who has an arrangement with the authority for it to let out the house, found door handles hanging off and walls scrawled on just three years after it was given a council-funded £72,000 makeover.
Deputy leader Greg Smith said: "This council takes a zero tolerance approach to antisocial behaviour and our residents can now bid these neighbours from hell farewell.
"It is appalling that families like this repay the British taxpayer by wreaking havoc and showing a complete lack of respect to their law-abiding and hard-working neighbours."
At the hearing at West London County Court last Thursday, the council warned it would take further legal action against Ziad or his mother if they broke agreements to improve their behaviour.
The council says new rules proposed which place 'greater emphasis on prioritising housing for hard-working households' will prevent further cases.