A SLICE of iced cake for each of the 350 pupils was just one of the ways in which Star Road Secondary School celebrated its new name - Queen's Court Secondary School for Girls - in February 1955.
When the school changed from mixed to girls only in 1952, it was decided it should be renamed and thoroughly modernised throughout.
Three years later the modernisation was well under way and the new name came into effect.
Queen's Court was chosen as a compendium of Queen's Club and Barons Court.
The magnificent four-tier cake was made by Mrs E Olds, school kitchen supervisor, while the pink and white icing was the work of Mrs P Croot, housecraft mistress.